Friday, June 13, 2008

1/2 Marathon

 
We decided to combine a grueling 1/2 Marathon, a camping trip and Jardine sister reunion into one big party. We thought it would be fun to take all the kids and go camping the week before the 1/2 Marathon with the end of the trip ending the same day as our race. Did I mention that we also took two of my niece's friends with us??? Off we went excited about the upcoming race and fun to have with all the sisters and kids. It never seems like a small army when we are together. However, thinking about it there was a lot of us, 7 adults and 16 kids. We did get a little nervous about the weather. We checked the week before we left and it look like it would be a nice early June weather, however, we do live in Utah...stay ten minutes and the weather will change. Change it did. The first couple of days were nice, and then it was all downhill for the next 5 days. Ferocious rain storms, snow on the horizon and a dare from yours truly to Julia and her friends to go swimming when it was only 50 degrees outside...what can I say I am an awesome aunt. With many trips back into Logan for supplies and heating apparatuses, we survived, just in time for the race. Ahhh, the race, a story in it of its self. When my sisters get together they or should I say we believe that we can conquer the world. With only 12 weeks to prepare for the race Rebecca convinced Julie, Rachel and I to run with her. I was still suffering from back pain and so my training didn't start for another 6 weeks. Of those six grueling weeks I was sick 2 of them, one from over training and the other was the week that we were camping. Every day after my run with my sisters I told everyone that my sisters were killing me... and they were. I counted it up and I ran a total of 10 times before the race. The day before the race I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to run. Miraculously, I felt really good the day of the race. Half way through the race Julie and Rebecca said that I was pushing them too hard. I admit it I was laughing to myself. Rachel by and far in the best shape of all of us danced to her iPod the entire race. I could hardly walk after the race, but I felt a little vindicated that I was able to push at least 2 of my sisters; after all they had been pushing me for the last 6 weeks. I have a new goal train until I am able to dance with Rachel while we run the next 1/2 marathon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: